Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Captured Heart

If you have already read “The Spirit of Mischief” and it tweaked you a little, I’m going to go a little further so if you don’t like to be tweaked, you may want to skip this article. For those of you who don’t mind the experience, I encourage you to read further.

In addition to being a fun-loving God, I also want to suggest He may not always play fair. He is a gentleman at heart, but doesn’t always put all His cards on the table. In other words…He is a God of surprises.

How do I know that? From experience, of course. When I was an atheist, God didn’t sit me down at a table and say…“I’m going to use this thought, that quiet moment, and this proof to turn you around.” He didn’t show me His plan: détente and negotiations were not penciled in. I didn’t have a clue what was happening, I only knew I “was blind but now I see.”

He went after me; then He won me; now He’s got me. I hope I am not a trial to Him as Jasmine was to her father…oh, pardon me, you will have to read my book The Captain’s Choice to understand what I mean by that. You can read the first three chapters for free at my website hrpeters.com or click on the link at the bottom of this page.

I couldn’t put it any better than this: “I fled Him, down the nights and down the days; I fled Him, down the arches of the years; I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways of my own mind; and in the midst of tears I hid from Him, and under running laughter…” (The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson)

It seems running from God is a human condition and God in hot pursuit of us, His nature. I’m glad He knows all my hiding places. I’m thankful He doesn’t get tired. And most of all, I’m grateful His love for me does not wane.

Are you tired of running yet? Have you cried “uncle!” yet? Does He have to corner you somewhere? He’s going to win, you know. Take it from one who has raged against Him.

"I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, You are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there Your hand will guide me, and Your strength will support me. I could ask the darkness to hid me and the light around me to become night but even in darkness I cannot hid from You. To You the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to You." Ps. 139:7-12 (NLT)

No comments: