Monday, June 11, 2007

Stormy Weather

I love dramatic weather though I am not extreme enough to go hunting for tornadoes or anything. Thunder and lightning are right up my alley just as long as they don't hit my alley. I'll take stormy skies over blue any day.

Just when it seems that the heavens will rend and pour out a deluge, I've got camera in hand. I'm still hoping one day to capture a lightning strike but I regret that during my sojourn in Alaska I was not able to film aurora borealis.

Besides an occasional moose munching on twigs outside a bedroom window, Alaska did more to capture my heart than anything I could record with digital technology. Funny, I was born in The Land of the Rising Sun but left my heart in The Land of the Midnight Sun.

Another thing I regret is that I was not able to get close enough to photograph an eagle in flight. We have something in common; the eagle and I. We both love storms.

When other birds are seeking shelter, the eagle rejoices in the storm. It mounts on the fierce winds and flies above the storm. It is undeterred and uses the wind to its advantage. That's how I want to be.

One of my favorite scriptures brings this to mind.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:29-31

No comments: