Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Crazy About That Man!


I saw Prince Caspian tonight and enjoyed it as thoroughly as I did The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I must say that though Ben Barnes is a heartthrob, Reep a Cheep is my favorite. I adore that mouse!

More than the movie, I marvel at the man C.S. Lewis. He can serve up fantasy to the delight of every dreamer, science fiction to the contentment of every layman, and apologetics to the most discerning.

Here's some quotable Lewis:

*A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
* I sometimes wonder whether all pleasures are not substitutes for joy.
* God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.
*We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.
*This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.
*Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is...
*If there is equality it is in His love, not in us.
*If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.
*When you are arguing against Him you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all.
*
Pride gets no pleasure out of having something; only out of having more of it than the next man.

1 comment:

Melanie Faith said...

I agree, they did a good job on Caspian; I think it was even better than the first.