Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Dinosaur

"Wow, I never met anyone..." he said with genuine wonder.
I shivered, but not with delight.
"Well now you have," I cut him off.
"Are you for real?"
"Yes, I know I'm rare but there are actually people out there like me."
"I'm going to tell everyone about you!" he boasted as if making a great discovery.
"Please don't," I whispered under my breath.
"You're the first person I know who doesn't own a cell phone!"

I'm not catholic but at that moment I wanted to make a confession to the telecommunication gods.

1. In two years, I lost my blasted cell phone three times.
2. In the two miserable years I did own one, I used it a total of 2 dozen times.
3. I only know how to turn it on, dial, talk and turn it off and every time it rang I wanted to throw it against the wall.
4. I have no idea how to save people's numbers on it.
5. I always forget to turn it off when I'm at the movies.
6. I drive badly enough without the darn thing going off when I'm at the wheel.

Yes, I have committed six deadly sins but in order to be free I have done more than renounce them, I have gotten rid of the temptation altogether. Just call me a dinosaur!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I didn't get a cell phone for a long time, have had one for just over 3 years now. But I don't know what I'd do without it these days, lol.